Friday, August 4, 2017

It's All Research {When You're a Writer, at Least...}




Hello, earthlings and extraterrestrials.
I've noticed that all of my friends roll their eyes when I type this, and then inform me that no extraterrestrials read blogs. If you are an extraterrestrial, please comment below so that I'll have proof. Thank you.


First things first, I HAVE SOME CUTE LITTLE POST GRAPHICS. #special. so, yeah. I felt like that was important to say.



OKAY, now, then. The actual... you know... post.


//

As writers, we know that writing kind of takes over life. This is great in many ways. If you're a non-writer, though, you can be skeptical. "Is that really research?" Well, kids, I'm here to prove that it is always, always research.

This one is simple. OF COURSE READING IS RESEARCH, BILLY. You're absolutely insane if you think it isn't. Who asked your opinion, good sir. Go sit in the corner and think about what you've said.
How are we supposed to know what good writing looks, feels, and sounds like if we aren't reading? I wouldn't have ever been interested in words if I weren't reading. ALSO we can see what others do WRONG and then NOT DO THE WRONG. Genius, I know.
also how do you expect us to handle reality without books, kids? answer: WE WON'T HANDLE REALITY WITHOUT THE BOOKS. BE REALISTIC.


Or TV in general. Look, basically it'll help you see how characters interact and what makes a good story. Same as reading, but different. omw guys i'm a poet ahem. It also helps us introverted authors with seeing how people interact... SEE BECAUSE WE WON'T HAVE TO ACTUALLY INTERACT WITH PEOPLE. 
Image result for haymitch genius gif
yup. hayffie for life, Sophie. fear me, mortals.

Image result for haymitch approves gif
my parents were watching the movies, and because i loved the books, i had to join in. 

Yay! Anyways, on to the next one since this one was absoluetly boring...


Gasp. Daisy's gone crazy, finally. Pinterest isn't rease-
I BEG TO DIFFER, CHILDREN.
OF COURSE IT IS.
See, when scrolling through Pinterest you can find MANY writing prompts and MUCH character inspiration. Ha. I shall triumph.
But no really how do you expect us to make moodboards if we don't have Pinterest, hmm? 
Before you start arguing...
Image result for batman unicorn argument invalid
i winnnnnnnn

But anyways, let's move on, shallll we? We shall. Wait, I wasn't supposed to answer my own question.... *shuffles notecards* Uh... Hehe, moving on.
p.s. i still can't figure out how to make facebook and twitter into research... sorry, guys...

YESSS. AHEM, ahem. Er... I'm calm. seee, with this one, it's figuring out what gives readers an emotional response. Odds are, if it makes you cry, it'll make your readers cry. Unless your readers are Vulcan, in which case... sorry, Billy, but you're in a bad place, and I can't help you.

Image result for shrug gif
i wanted to use another haymitch gif but i chose taylor instead. *sings* you're welcome.

But really, kids, you should read some headcanons. I can find you some pretty good Hayffie ones. no, sophie, i'm never gonna quit
Suggestion: make headcanons for your own characters. For instance, Wither is not a morning person, contrary to popular belief. He takes on Sliver's expression and just glares at you. Sliver IS a morning person, because, in fact, she likely doesn't sleep due to 'needing to research MORE.' Aspin, obviously, loves mornings. :)
Image result for yay mornings! gif

So, I mean, thanks for reading, guys. I'm not sure where the post came from, but it was really fun to do. *shrugs*

Is everything research? Is there any way to make Twitter and Facebook into research? Do you ship Hayffie?

Image result for lego batman batman out gif

18 comments:

  1. .....Daisy why. Why do you try and pain me like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a writer- I can confirm. EVERYTHING IS RESEARCH, LET ME WATCH MY NETFLIX IN PEACE. XD
    -Emma-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. ALLOW ME TO HERMIT ALL DAY, BILLY, IT'S RESEARCH.

      Delete
  3. Liz from AGH8/4/17, 3:05 PM

    I am an extra extraterrestrial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! EFFERVINA, SOPHIE, COME LOOK AT THIS I TOLD YOU SO.

      Delete
    2. Wha? I never roll my eyes and say no extraterrestrials read blogs! I would be a hipocryt because I am the Galaxy queen and I do believe I am some sort of alien.

      Delete
  4. (Of course we're extraterrestrials, did you even need to ask??)

    EVERYTHING IS RESEARCH. Possibly including some rather dubious Google searches. And Pinterest. All the Pinterest.

    I suppose Facebook could be another way of observing human drama without having to interact or be involved??

    (And I have never even thought of Hayffie, which I assume is Haymitch x Effie? [haven't seen the movies, either, so.])

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (My friends wouldn't believe me.)

      YES. I googled amnesia the other day... 0.o

      Possibly... I could see that...

      (YES IT IS. I ship it so hard even though 'technically' it isn't canon. sue me.)

      Delete
  5. *Raises hand* former resident of Planet Nowhere. Not that anyone would actually know where that is, because just read the name for goodness sake.
    Facebook and Twitter are for names. Not totally related, but keeping programs from shows are also helpful for names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to Planet Nowhere- it's nice this time of year.

      Aha, yes! Indeed!

      Delete
  6. I am from another dimension. Does that count as an extraterrestrial? O_O

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does anyone say reading books isn't research?!?! Books you read are the platform upon which you build your own writerly kingdom! Or the springboard from which you spring into the sea of the written word where you will scuba dive in search of buried treasure... or to save your characters who are DROWNING. Or.... Yeah. Something.
    Dude. Movies. Movies are amazing. We get to watch people interact from the safety of our own living rooms in solitude. Brilliant.
    And, by the way, Haymitch is the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! :)

      and movies are amazing <3 like I recently watched Avengers: Age of Ultron and was like "man, why hadn't I seen this before?"

      YES HAYMITCHHHH

      Delete
  8. *RAISES HAND* EXTRATERRESTRIAL HERE THANKS. JUST SAYIN'.

    Also yes to ALL of these. I make everything into research tbh. That cake needs eating? Research. Do I need a nap? Research for unconsciousness. Do I need new books? Definitely DEFINITELY research.😂 Also I think TV shows/movies are underrated as research because reading books helps us figure out how to say the words, but film is good for visualising body-language and mannerisms!! So it totally counts!!

    Also pinterest helps SO MUCH. I mean. Obviously you can't write without it...

    And twitter can be research for...figuring out how to say things concisely? *pretends this works*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HELLO, FELLOW EXTRATERRESTRIAL!

      Cake is 100% research. and yessss TV is so underrated!!

      Clearly not...

      *nodnod* seems legit.

      Delete

Your comments make my day! Please feel free to chat, ask questions, tell me I'm a lunatic, etc. Just remember to keep it clean and God-honoring!