Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Why I Write Rebelliously: #RebeliousWriting + Is This A Discussion Post of Sorts?



Hello, earthlings and extraterrestrials!

Ahem.

I have joined the #RebelliousWriting movement! This is a movement started by Gray Marie at her blog Writing is Life. If you click the link, you can learn more, but basically this is a movement to write cleaner YA books. AND I HAVE JOINED because clearly I like clean books. Give alllll the books baths.




But Daisy, you say, why? Are books really that bad??

The answer is...

it's complicated.
Image result for it's complicated harry potter gif
also, harry potter is twenty. an old, old fandom. *cries tears*

Most books aren't terrible. 
Image result for it's true gif star wars
a much older fandom.
I'll give 'em that. Cursing is at a minimum, no idolization/glorification of drugs or alcohol, no graphic descriptions of anything, etc. But have you ever picked up a book, only to be groaning halfway because of all the innuendos and language? I know I've had this happen many times. You end up skipping to the end of the book to find out what happens. Look, I don't need to know everything- or gross details, either. And at some point, language can go from mild to like a sailor. It's disgusting. and no, I'm not saying all books have to be like, fluff and sunshine... I just don't want to cringe and wince while I'm reading.

Image result for wince gif
real footage of hermione reading something inappropriate in a book.

There ARE clean fantasy books. Star Wars: Bloodline was pretty clean, for instance. And obviously, at least 80% of Christian books are clean although lately some of those I've picked up are trash too. and a book doesn't have to be 'Christian' to be clean. Marissa Meyer's books are clean, for instance, and have good morals and adorable squishy characters without being Christian. Christian Fantasy is good, of course, but not all books have to be in that genre. Many times a clean 'secular' book actually gets the morals and lessons across better than an overly-preachy Christian book will. Even Harry Potter was clean.

Most of us in this blogosphere write pretty clean stuff- Madi, Lydia, and Kellyn come to mind, although there are many others. Madi in particular did a really great job of writing an action/adventure book without too much blood/gore, any language, or anything else like that- yet it is a hardcore and serious book.

Image result for batman intensifies gif
a hardcore and serious book should look like this.

So yes, I write rebelliously. I rebel against the "dirtiness"of books. Books should be an escape from the real world, don't you think?

//
 IN OTHER NEWS,
CampNaNo approaches scary-fast, and summer seems to slip away... also, are you doing the Wizarding World Book Club? If so, are you glad to be back at Hogwarts??

//

TALK TO ME, PLEASE.

Will you write rebelliously? Do you agree that books- even non-Christian ones- should be clean?






16 comments:

  1. I AGREE!!! There have been several Christian books I've bought that I've stopped reading because of content in it. I've read worldly books that are way cleaner than some of th Christian books I've gotten! It's kinda sad. :/
    I really strive to make my books clean and yes, I think that all books - even non-Christian should be clean, but unfortunately.... -_- #rude XD
    ~Jaclynn~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it especially when the book is supposed to be Christian... and then the secular book is cleaner and I mean??

      ugh, so many unclean books...

      Delete
  2. I get so bothered when I'm reading a book and there's a ton of bad stuff in it! Like, YA books don't need to have all this inappropriate things to be YA...oh wait. Yeah, they do. -.-
    I write rebelliously!! :D
    -Emma-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So we have to be the generation that changes the standard. :)

      Delete
  3. Welcome to the Rebellion, Daisy! Everyone, please be sure to check out our social media: Pinterest ( https://www.pinterest.com/rebelliouswriting/), Twitter (https://twitter.com/WriteRebellious), and Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/rebelliouswriting/?hl=en), and keep an eye out for our website being released on August 9!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for joining!
    BTW, your blog is so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're writing the kind of books you want to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, a writer is first a reader, so... :p

      Delete
  6. Welcome to the Rebellion, m'dear! I'm glad you could join us in the fight. I do agree that saying that people curse, nothing is glorified (if it is shown), and nothing is too EXCESSIVELY in detail-- these kinds of things do happen, but when it gets to the point that it steps too far, it's terrible! Thus why we need the change. I want to do the Wizarding World Book Club, but then there's NaNo that's happening so there's that. >.< Can't wait to see you once the site opens up on August 9th!

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I totally agree! That's how I write my books too. I figure, that if you have to put a whole bunch of trash in there, you are probably trying to distract away from your terrible writing skills. The best books are cleverly written, and not dirty at all. So I say, rebel onward!! And always be true to you. :)

    ginnie / http://www.fakingitmostly.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say NO book, even if it is targeted for adults, needs all that junk in it. No need for, ahem, smut scenes and the like. You (general you) could even make it clear your characters have done bedroom things without writing nasty stuff. And while a bad word here and there doesn't really bother me, there's a BIG difference between, say, two bad words in a whole 400 page book and ones every other page, y'know? I hate that. Needless. I will not judge someone else for cussing, but I don't want it all over my books.
    It's especially bad if it's a 'Christian' book and it's full of...bad stuff. Illogical...

    okay, rant over...:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And the occasional curse word is one thing, but every other sentence is WAY overboard. And Christian books 100% should be different- that's the point!

      XD I get ramped up about book standards too. Lp

      Delete

Your comments make my day! Please feel free to chat, ask questions, tell me I'm a lunatic, etc. Just remember to keep it clean and God-honoring!