Monday, September 11, 2017

NaNo 101: YWP vs ADULT NaNo



Hello. earthlings and extraterrestrials!

Okay, so now what. You know most of the NaNo basics- caffeine, plotting vs pantsing, etc... but this is an important thing.


Before we really get into it, let me ask you a simple question. 

are you ready for it?

Okay, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sing Taylor Swift at you. The New Taylor is somewhat catchy, though, be real. Ridiculously catchy. STOP GLARING AT ME, SPARKLES, I APOLOGIZED.

Related image

Okay. The YWP, or Young Writers Program is for ages 12-18 (ish, we're quite flexible.) The GREAT thing about it is that you get to set your own word count goal! and also write your novel on-site although this is totally optional. I personally use Scrivener and/or Google Docs and manually update my WC. Also the forums are amazing and quirky and fun but also quite distracting :/


MEANWHILE the ADULT NANO is for 13+ but mostly geared towards 18+. The thing with it is that your goal is set to 50k words and you CANNOT change it. I know, 50k is terrifying. You have to have a lot of coffee for that. a lot a lot.

So much coffee.

Anyways, um, moving forward.

I don't know much about Adult NaNo mostly because the YWP is so perfect. 

Image result for NO lie gif

No, seriously, the YWP is great. There's an amazing community on the forums and so much weirdness. Just a warning, 90% of us will steal your coffee and distract you so maybe not so wonderful we're all great people okay. 

Trust me.


Image result for trust me gif

HAHA WHAT NO WRONG GIF SORRY

Image result for trust me gif

Much, much better. *sips coffee calmly*

The NaNo Forums are great for word warring, getting feeback, prayers, encouragement, and also for getting virtual coffee with heavy shots of ambient atmosphere- no, wait, come back! I didn't mean to scare you. We also have masquerade balls sometimes so that's fun and... hopefully somewhat normal.

No, really I- Um... you're right, what's the point of this post. To be honest, kids, I don't know. I guess it seemed important?? 

Well.
Well then.

*starts wrapping things up* here's to the next post being a better one! I promise it will be.
Why do you all keep looking at me like that?
Image result for trust me gif

That's really harsh, now isn't it.

Adult NaNo or YWP? Was this post somewhat pointless? 


Image result for lego batman batman out gif

2 comments:

  1. I've never done the Young writer's Program, although I actually have an account on there. I have a habit of seriously procrastinating and/or forgetting about my writing goals, so 50k is very hard for me. I think the Young writer's Program sounds ideal for me because you can set your own word goal. Maybe I'll try it this year! :)

    ~Lydia~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done YWP since I was like....oh like maybe 18 or 19 when I first did NaNo In the first place? ACTUALLY MAYBE I WAS 20. I have no idea.😂 50K is not really hard for me though and I've never done any interaction in the forums. Maybe I should this year.😂 But I still think it's cool that you can find such good community in NaNo!! People can be so awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Please feel free to chat, ask questions, tell me I'm a lunatic, etc. Just remember to keep it clean and God-honoring!