Monday, August 28, 2017

NaNo 101: Advanced Pantser Studies






'Sup, earthlings and extraterrestrials!
i can be different and not say 'hello'.


So. The lovely Jem Jones requested more on pantsing... and as a long-time-pantser, I can actually be somewhat helpful. Being helpful is new to me, kids, so... let's take it slow, ok?

Oh, and to plotters? You can play on your phones during class this time. and have some coffee. *nodnod* Maybe take a nice nap. Or... work on your... plotting.

OKAY, pantsers. So you're terrified. "HOW CAN I NOT KNOW WHAT I'M DOING?? WHAT?? WHY AM I dOING THIS TO MYSELF?"

STOP PANICKING, BECAUSE BATMAN  DAISY IS HERE. The answer is simple.

The answer is a fantastic beast. No, I'm not kidding. Plot bunnies, ladies and gentlemen.

Image result for plot bunny gif

HAHA WHAT NO. who put that gif there?

Image result for plot bunny gif

more accurate.

These little demon creatures are a blessing and a curse. Seriously. They either distract you like crazy or get you out of writer's block. They're mischievous. I think Loki raises plot bunnies on some magical farm, honestly, but that's a story for another day.

But plot bunnies are burdened with glorious purpose very good for pre-nano. In fact, MOST PANTSERS NEED PLOT BUNNIES.

Why? Because they give us a basic direction. We know the basic idea of what we're doing, without having to outline or plot AT ALL. 

Plot bunnies seem to come in sets of 1,234,000 though. BE WARNED, OKAY.

According to the WikiWriMo site: plot bunny is a story idea that refuses to go away until it is written. The term's origin is unknown but is known to predate NaNoWriMo. Because plot bunnies tend to multiply quickly, the term is thought to be related to the oft-quoted John Steinbeck quote about ideas and rabbits.

Okay, so a plot bunny is a neat little thing to have. Here's an example of one, thanks to tumblr and pinterest:

Image result for plot bunny prompt

That, my friend, is a plot bunny.

What, you expected it to actually look like a rabbit? No, obviously not. Good day to you sir.

See, so have a basic plot bunny. That gives you an idea of what you'll be doing but also leaves you room to dance around like a candy corn child.
what is wrong with me
Suggestions: write blurbs for your plot bunnies, then come up with some basic dialogue scenes you might use in the stories. Be sure to come up with the basic beginning, middle, and end- you can add twists as you write. Keep your end goal for the story in mind at all times!

//
You: well that was anticlimactic, Daisy...
Me: buffering. loading scripts. <ERROR 404 RESPONSE TO CRITICISM NOT FOUND> <run program = generic response? > <yes.>
Me: Mmm.


ANYWAYS. I hope this has been... somewhat helpful? Maybe? *shrugs* Our next topic will be The ADULT NANO vs The YWP. *much fanfare* So... uhh... come back soon, I guess!
*ends post before things get any more awkward*

//
Random, but have you guys heard Look What You Made Me Do? Are you ready for me to do a non-NaNo post? What's your plot bunny?


Image result for lego batman batman out gif



6 comments:

  1. (you mentioned me! :D)

    Oooh okay that makes sense! I always thought plot bunnies were inherently evil - judging by the way they're treated - but for me it was always "AWESOME, look at you, you're such a fluffy bunny, ooh yes you are! Who's a good bunny then?? And you brought friends! AWw!"

    So... it's because I'm a pantser that I've never had problems with bunny infestations?? xD Thanks for the post, Daisy!
    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Yes!)
      Haha, common misconception. They're actually cute little things.
      Haha, maybe! You're soooo welcome and I'm glad it helps someone!

      Delete
  2. DAISY OH MY GOODNESS YOU ARE HILARIOUS XD XD XD
    This post was legit, my friend. I loved it. XD *fistbump*
    ~Jaclynn~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD I'm glad someone thinks I'm funny! *fistbumps*

      Delete
  3. It doesn't even have ears, Daisy. It's not a bunny if it doesn't have ears. But anyway, plot bunnies are very helpful. I'm enjoying your NaNo series!
    I have heard Look What You Made Me Do, and I'm not sure why anyone thought it was a good idea. I'm a rock music person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it doesn't have ears it's not a bunny/ even if it has a bunny kind of shape

      Aww, thanks!

      I hated it at first, but I somewhat like it now; and i like Christian rock XD

      Delete

Your comments make my day! Please feel free to chat, ask questions, tell me I'm a lunatic, etc. Just remember to keep it clean and God-honoring!